Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Week In Paradise


Last week I had the privilege of working with some of the greatest people in the world! OK, one of those people was my wife, but we were able to minister along side of those who work with Lemonade International.
My wife and I, along with three others form our Aftershock group, we're in Guatemala City. More specifically in the La Limonada slum. We spent the week in two schools that are operated by Lemonade International. We had time to meet and talk with the staff, through a translator, teach and minister to the children of the slum and go on home visits within La Limonada.
There were many highlights to the week, and I'll post my thoughts on those in the weeks to come, but there was one highlight that stood out.

For the last 7 months our family has been sponsoring a boy in La Limonada. It has been a great joy to write letters back and forth, send him gifts and really just spoil him. I say our family has been sponsoring because, yes, our kids get involved too. They write him little notes and color him pictures, they consider him their older Guatemalan brother. Anyway, we were able to take him, his mom and little sister out to pizza, and spoil he and his family a little more. It was truly a blessing for us.

I'm writing this post first because it is the most important one. There is a huge need in the La Limonada slum of Guatemala City, HUGE. You don't know if you're not made aware, so I'm making you aware. If you go to the Lemonade International website, you'll find many ways that you can help support the ministry. Please choose one and get involved. I titled this post "A Week In Paradise" because, really, that's what it was. God is doing a great work in that slum and the people there have beautiful hearts and beautiful stories.

God bless!!

2 comments:

harmjane said...

Agree 110%, this was my second visit to LaLimonada - and I am smitten by the beautiful people of this community! I love our little Guatemalan kiddo like he was my own, and it was SOOOO fun to see him and spoil him, and meet his mother! I feel blessed to have been a part of God's amazing work there for the second time!

Becky said...

I really liked your title...I felt the same way from my visit. The need is so HUGE, La Limonada is so poor - but the people's hearts and those working in the school seem to shine so brightly in the middle of all the darkness. I think that is the way we all are supposed to be and how it will be one day in Paradise. Such a reminder that we all make a huge difference with our daily actions and interactions with others.