Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Gaining The Big Picture

It's been a month now since my wife and I left the states and traveled to the La Limonada slum in Guatemala City. I still reflect on our week there, it's hard not to. There are some experiences in life, that no matter how far you are removed from them, those experiences will forever be etched into your mind and not only into your mind but into your nose and ears as well. I didn't think that going into a slum would be that big of a deal. I've seen some rather poor parts of the world and I assumed this place would be no different, I was wrong.

The first thing I noticed when traveling into La Limonada was that it seemed to be cut off from the rest of the city. It was like we were entering a different country. I was told that this was almost the case. Most in Guatemala totally disregard the people of La Limonada as citizens of Guatemala City. The "roads" in the slum are really large sidewalks and sometimes very small sidewalks. There is trash everywhere. I'm not talking some litter here and there but a lot of trash. Dogs and cats roam the slum, all are underfed and full of only God knows what kind of parasites. So far it pretty much looked like other poor locations of the world that I've seen, then I got to higher ground.

During the week, we visited and prayed with several families. We had a chance to hear their stories, see first had what they were struggling with and see the joy God had placed into their hearts. It was on one of these visits that I was blown away. Myself along with a friend and some staff from Lemonade International went to a home of an elderly gentlemen. We talked with he and his caretaker. We were able to provide him with some medicines that he desperately needed and prayed over him. It was truly an honor.

His house was located near the top of the ravine (where the slum is located in). We walked up and when we got out his front door I turned to look out over the slum. My heart sank as I took in how big this place really was, and I really couldn't see the full scope of it even then. This place was huge which means the problems that it's facing are huge as well.

Though the problems in La Limonada are great, the hope that many that live there have is even greater! God, through the sweat and tears of many very special people, is doing some great things in the hearts and lives of many.

Thankfully, ours and Gods perspectives are not the same. Where we see chaos, God sees clam and does the calming. Where we see despair, Gods sees hope and is the hope. When we see true joy and a peace that passes all understanding, we see God.

No comments: