Saturday, August 9, 2008

It's really about self control!

This past Sunday Perry Noble, pastor of Newspring Church preached a sermon titled "Is it OK for a Christian to drink alcohol?" It was a great talk about the use of alcohol as a Christian. You can listen to it here. I'll go ahead and spoil it for you a bit, NO it's not wrong for a Christian or anybody else for that matter, to drink alcohol.
Perry talks about it a bit in the sermon, but I need to echo it because it's something that I have felt strongly about for years. What he mentions is the fact that so many preachers hammer on alcohol as if it were a sin, when they themselves are so out of shape, they are out of breath just from walking up to the pulpit!
While drinking alcohol and eating are not sins, getting drunk and being a glutton is sin. This really is a heart problem. One of the fruits of the spirit is self control but when someone allows alcohol or food to take control of there lives they have given up that self control and have given in to sin.
As Christians our bodies are temples of God, we need to keep them in the best shape as we can. Perry also had a few health related blogs last week too, check them out here. We can't make a lasting impact for Christ if we are dead from alcohol poisoning or clogged veins. By the way the bodybuilder pictured above is Lee Priest, one of the best in the world.

1 comment:

Jeff Selph said...

That guy's a freak. Holy cow!

I've struggled with this for a long time. I was torn between what I read in the Bible and what I was taught. I'm still not going to drink. I have no desire, and I have an addictive personality. Two good reasons for me to stay away.

Good stuff, though.